FAQs & forms

This section includes freqently asked investor queries and forms required by the investors.

Q.1 I have purchased HUL shares, how do I get them registered in my name and how long will it take?

You will have to send the share certificates and the Share Transfer Deed (available with Stock Exchange/Share Brokers) duly filled in, executed and affixed with share transfer stamps at 0.25% of the market value on the date of execution of the transfer deed.

Please note that copies of self attested pan cards of all the transferees are mandatory for registration of transfers.

The shares, along with the Share Transfer Deed and copies of self attested pan cards will have to be sent to Karvy Fintech Private Limited at the following address:

Karvy Fintech Private Limited

Unit : Hindustan Unilever Limited

Karvy Selenium Tower B,

Plot 31-32, Gachibowli Financial District,


Hyderabad - 500 032

Phone : +91 - 40 - 67161500, 33211000

Email : einward.ris@karvy.com

It takes 15 days to process the transfer. Once the shares are registered in your name, you will receive the original share certificates duly endorsed/transferred.

It is advisable to get your shares dematerialized through your Depository Participant. Please refer to Point II on dematerialization of shares for more details.

Q.2 I would like to gift some shares to my children/relatives. How do I get them registered in their names? Does this involve stamp duty?

The procedure for registering gifted shares is the same as the procedure for a normal transfer. Stamp duty is also applicable on gifted shares and the duty is at 0.25% of the market value prevailing on the date of execution of the transfer deed.

Q.3 Where should I send the shares for transfer? Can I hand them over at your Branch Office?

Registration of Share Transfer is carried out only at:

Karvy Fintech Private Limited

Unit : Hindustan Unilever Limited

Karvy Selenium Tower B,

Plot 31-32, Gachibowli Financial District,


Hyderabad - 500 032

Phone : +91 - 40 - 67161500, 33211000

Email : einward.ris@karvy.com

You will have to lodge the shares, either by personal delivery or through post/reputed courier. Since our Branch Offices do not handle share transfer processing, kindly do not hand over your shares at Branch offices or other offices of our Company.

Alternatively, you may lodge shares with our Investor Service Counter at Hindustan Unilever Limited, Unilever House, B. D. Sawant Marg, Chakala, Andheri East, Mumbai 400 099.

Q.4 What is the stamp duty on shares transfer? Where do I get these stamps?

The stamp duty applicable on share transfer is at 0.25% of the market value on the date of execution of the transfer deed. Share Transfer Stamps can be obtained from the authorised stamp vendors. Your share broker can also help you in this regard.

Alternatively, you can get the Transfer Deed franked with the requisite stamp fee by any bank where franking services are available.

Q.5 How do I ensure that the Transfer Deed is complete before sending it to the Company?

When the Transfer Deed with the filled in transferor’s details comes to you, please ensure that the requisite details such as folio number, certificate number, distinctive number, name of the holder(s), name and address of witnesses are filled in. Please also ensure that the Transfer Deed is signed by the transferor(s) (signatures of all holders in case of joint holding) and the witness.

Please note that attestation of transferor’s signature by a Manager of a nationalized bank where the transferor holds a savings account will minimize the chances of rejection of transfer request on account of signature mismatch.

Please fill in all the columns of the transfer deed, sign as transferee at appropriate places and affix share transfer stamps at 0.25% of the market value on the date of execution of the transfer deed. Please ensure that the transfer deed is duly filled in and executed as explained, to avoid any discrepancy/objection on lodgement.

Q.6 I want to add another person as a joint-holder to my shareholding. What is the procedure that I should follow?

To add a joint-holder name to your shareholding, please execute a stamped transfer deed and submit the same to the Investor Service Counter for transfer. Please note that such additions amount to a change in ownership of shares and the transfer procedure explained above has to be followed.

Q.7 I have purchased HUL shares long back but forgot to get them transferred in my favour. What is the procedure that I should follow now?

A transfer deed is valid for a period of one year from the presentation date indicated on the stamp affixed by the Registrar of Companies on the upper portion of the deed or the closure date of Register of Members immediately after the presentation date, whichever is later. Please check whether your transfer deed is still valid. If so, submit the transfer deed duly executed and stamped along with share certificates to our Investor Service Counter for transfer in your favour.

If the validity period of the transfer deed has expired, please approach the Registrar of Companies to extend the validity of the transfer deed. Alternatively, you may approach the registered holder/seller whose signature appears on the transfer deed as Transferor to execute fresh transfer deeds. Thereafter, you may submit the revalidated / fresh transfer deed to the Investor Service Counter for transfer.

Q.1 What is Demat and what are its benefits?

Dematerialisation (or Demat) signifies the conversion of a share certificate from its present physical form to electronic form for the same number of holdings.

It is a direct application of scope provided by the tremendous progress made in the area of Information Technology, whereby voluminous and cumbersome paper work involved in the scrip based system is eliminated.

It offers scope for paperless trading through state-of-the-art technology, whereby share transactions and transfers are processed electronically without involving any share certificate or transfer deed after the share certificates have been converted from physical to electronic form.

Demat attempts to avoid the time consuming and complex process of getting shares transferred in the name of buyers and also aims to shirk inherent problems of bad deliveries, delay in processing, fraudulent interception in postal transit, etc.

Dematerialisation of shares is optional and an investor can still hold shares in the physical form. However, he/she has to demat the shares if he/she wishes to sell the same through the Stock Exchanges. Similarly, if an investor purchases shares, he/she will get delivery of the shares in demat form.

The Depositories Act, 1996 has been enacted to regulate the matters related and incidental to the operation of Depositories and demat operations. Two Depositories are in operation - National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) and Central Depository Services Limited (CDSL).

Q.2 How does the Depository System operate?

The operations in the Depository System involve the Depositories, Depository Participants, Company/Registrars and Investors.

A Depository (NSDL and CDSL) is an organisation like a Central Bank, i.e. Reserve Bank where the securities of an investor are held in the electronic form through Depository Participants.

A Depository Participant is the agent of the Depository and is the medium through which shares are held in the electronic form. They are also the representatives of the Investor, providing the link between the Investor and the Company/ Registrar through the Depository.

To draw an analogy, the Depository System functions in a manner similar to a banking system. A bank holds funds in accounts whereas a Depository holds securities in accounts for its clients. A bank transfers funds between accounts while a Depository transfers securities between accounts.

In both systems, the transfer of funds or securities occurs without the actual handling of funds or securities. Both, the bank and the Depository, are accountable for the safe keeping of funds and securities respectively. The Company signs an Agreement with NSDL/CDSL (the depositories) and installs the necessary hardware/software for operations.

Q.3 How do I demat my shares?

First, please open an account with a Depository Participant (DP) and obtain a unique Client ID number. Thereafter, kindly fill up a Dematerialisation Request Form (DRF) provided by the DP and surrender the physical shares intended to be dematted to the DP.

Upon receipt of the shares and the DRF, the DP will send electronic requests through the Depository to the Company/Registrar ;for confirmation of demat. Each request will bear a unique transaction number.

Simultaneously, the DP will surrender the DRF and the shares to the Company with a covering letter requesting the Company/Registrar to confirm the demat. After verifying the documents received from the DP, the Company/Registrar will confirm the demat to the Depository.

This confirmation will be passed on from the Depository to the DP, which holds your account. After receiving this confirmation from the Depository, the DP will credit the account with the dematerialized shares. The DP will then hold the shares in the dematerialized form on your behalf and you become the beneficial owner of these dematerialized shares.

Q.4 Once my shares are dematted, can I ever get them converted into physical shares?

If you hold shares in the electronic form, you have the option of converting your holding to the physical form by submitting a Rematerialisation Request Form (RRF) through your DP. The procedure is similar to that of Dematerialisation. Upon receiving such a request from your DP, the Company will issue physical share certificates for the number of rematerialised shares.

Q.5 What are the charges to be paid to demat one's physical shares? Will it be paid by the Company or do I have to pay for it?

The charges for demat have to be borne by the shareholder. The charges differ from DP to DP and therefore you will have to contact your DP for details regarding the same.

Q.6 I have purchased some shares in paper form. Can I directly give the share certificates to my Depository Participant for dematting them in my favour?

Shares should be registered in your favour before they can be dematted. Please follow the procedure explained in Point I above on transfer of shares.

Q.7 Is it a fact that HUL shares are to be traded compulsorily in Demat Form? Do I have the option of holding them in physical form?

Yes. With effect from 5thApril, 1999 it has become mandatory to trade shares in demat form. However, you can exercise the option of holding the shares in physical form.

Q.8 How do I get my dividends on dematted shares? Will I get the Annual Report after I demat my shares? Will I be able to attend the AGM?

On the Record date, the Depository Participants will provide a list of demat account holders indicating the number of shares held in electronic form (known as Benpos – Beneficiary Position). On the basis of Benpos, the Company will make dividend payments in favour of the demat account holders.

The rights of the shareholders holding shares in demat form are at par with holders of shares in physical form. Hence, you will be eligible to procure the Annual Report and can rightfully attend the AGM as a shareholder.

It is advisable to register your NECS mandate with your Depository Participant to enable us credit all your dividends electronically.

Q. 9 What are the chances of any fraud/disputes in using a demat account? Whom should I approach in such cases?

Common risk factors applicable to trading in physical shares like mismatch in signatures, loss in postal transit, etc., are absent since dematted shares are traded scrip-less.

However, in the unlikely event of any dispute, your Depository Participant would have to be approached for resolution of the same.

Q.10 Can I pledge my shares in demat form to avail any funding/loan arrangement with my bankers?


Q.11 Why can't the Company take request for change of details recorded in the demat account?

As per the Depository Regulations, the Company is obliged to take on record the details of demat shareholders furnished by the concerned Depository Participant. The Company cannot make any change in such records received from the Depository.

Q.1 How do I make a nomination with regard to my shareholding?

To make a nomination, please submit a duly filled in and signed nomination form (Form SH-13) in duplicate. If you hold shares along with other holders, then all holders are required to sign the nomination form.

Nomination Form is available on the website for download.

Nomination in respect of shares held in physical form can be sent to the Company. After the Company receives the form and finds it in order, a registration number will be allotted to the nomination. A duplicate copy of the nomination form submitted by you will then be returned to you with an endorsement indicating the registration number and date.

In case of dematted shares, your nomination has to be recorded with your Depository Participant.

Option for multiple nominations for each folio is also available.

Q.2 Do I have to send my share certificates along with the nomination form?

It is not necessary to send your share certificate at the time of registration of nomination.

Q.3 My shares are held in joint names. Are the joint holders nominees to the shares?

Joint holders are not nominees. They are joint holders of the relevant shares. In the event of death of any one of the joint holders, the surviving joint holder/s of the shares is/are the only person/persons recognized by the Company as the holders of the shares.

Q.4 Can a nomination once made be changed?

A nomination once made can be revoked by submitting a fresh nomination. If the nomination is made by joint holders, and one of the joint-holders dies, the surviving joint holder/s can make a fresh nomination by revoking the existing nomination.

Q.5 What is the legal position of the nominee in case of death of the shareholders?

In case of shares held by sole holder, upon the death of the shareholder, the nominee, to the exclusion of any other legal heir/beneficiary, is the only person in whom the shares vest. In other words, in case of a valid nomination, the Company will not entertain any claim from legal heirs or beneficiaries and the shares will be transmitted only in favour of the Nominee.

In case the nomination is made by joint-holders, it will come into play only upon the death of all the joint holders. Therefore, if one of the joint shareholders dies, the shares will devolve on the surviving shareholders to the exclusion of the nominee. In this case, the surviving shareholders may make a fresh nomination if they so desire.

Q.6 What is the procedure for the nominee to get the shares in his name?

Upon the death of a shareholder, the nominee is entitled to have the shares transmitted in his favour. He/she is required to submit a notice in writing to this effect along with the original share certificate and an attested copy of the death certificate of the deceased shareholders.

If a nominee opts for registration of shares in his/her name, he/she has to submit a Transmission Form along with a copy of the pan card and proof of address, e.g. copy of passport, driving license, voter's identity card or such other proof, to the satisfaction of the Company.

Upon scrutiny of the documents submitted by the nominee, shares will be transmitted in his/her favour and share certificates will be returned to him/her duly endorsed.

Q.7 I have shares in demat form. Can I send the nomination form to the Company for making a nomination with respect to my shareholding?

For making a nomination with respect to dematted shares, you will have to approach your DP.

Q.1 In case of joint holdings, in the event of death of one shareholder, how do the surviving shareholders get the shares in their names?

The surviving shareholders are required to submit a request letter supported by a self attested copy of pan card of all surviving holders, an attested copy of the Death Certificate of the deceased shareholder and the relevant share certificates. It is advisable if the documents are accompanied by a duly executed Transmission Form. The form is available for download on the website.

The Company, on receipt of the said documents, will delete the name of deceased shareholder from its records and return the share certificates to the applicant/registered holder with the necessary endorsement.

Q.2 If a shareholder who held shares in his sole name dies without leaving a will, how can his legal heir/s (either husband/wife/son/daughter, etc.) get the shares transmitted in their names?

The legal heirs are required to obtain a Succession Certificate or Letter of Administration with respect to the shares. A true copy of the same, duly attested by the Court Officer or Notary, should be sent to the Company along with a request letter, pan card of all the claimants, transmission form and all original share certificates for transmission in their favour.

Q.3 If the deceased family member who held shares in his/her own name (single) leaves a Will, how do the legal heir/s get the shares transmitted in their names?

The legal heirs are required to get the Will probated by the High Court/District Court of competent jurisdiction and then send us a probated copy of the Will. This should be accompanied by a relevant schedule/annexure setting out the details of the shares, the relevant share certificates in original, the transmission form for transmission, self attested pan card and address proofs of all the claimants.

Q.4 A and B had shares in HUL. Both of them died. How do I get the shares transmitted in my name?

To get the shares transmitted in your name, kindly obtain a Succession Certificate/Letter of Administration of the last deceased joint holder in your favour and follow the procedure for transmission of shares.

Q.5 I have already produced the attested/registered Will. Since getting it probated would take a long time and money, is it possible to avoid that procedure?

In order to ascertain that the Will in question is the last Will and testament made by the deceased, it is important that the same is authenticated/probated by the Court. This is to protect the interest of the investors at large and to obviate any future claims/disputes on the same.

Q.6 The name of a joint holder was included only for convenience by the first holder. I am the only heir. Could you transfer the shares in my name as per the will/probate?

As per law, the joint holder is deemed to be having indivisible ownership of the joint property and the Company cannot ascertain as to how or why the name was included. As per the Articles of Association of the Company, the surviving joint holders are the only persons recognised as having title to the shares.

Q.1 If there is a change in my address, what is the procedure to get it recorded with the Company?

Kindly send a request letter quoting the folio number signed by all the shareholders providing the new address along with the pin code. The request letter should be accompanied by a copy of pan card of all the holders and a valid proof of address.

Q.2 Can there be multiple addresses for a single folio?

No. There can be only one registered address for one folio.

Q.3 If the shares are dematted, what is the procedure for change of address?

Since your Depository Participant maintains the records of your dematted shares, you have to approach your DP to effect any change in your address.

Q.1 I have not received my dividend. What action do I take?

You may write to the Investor Service Department of the Company furnishing the particulars of the dividend not received. Also quote your folio number/client ID particulars (in case of dematted shares). We will check our records and issue a duplicate dividend warrant if the dividend remains unpaid in the records of the Company.

Q.2 What is the procedure for obtaining a duplicate dividend warrant?

No duplicate can be issued during the validity of the original warrant. Hence, if the validity period of the lost dividend warrant has not yet expired, you will have to wait till the expiry date. However, once the validity period has expired, if the dividend warrant is still shown as unpaid in our Bank Statement, we shall issue a duplicate warrant expeditiously.

Q.3 Why do shareholders have to wait till the expiry of the validity period of the original warrant? Is it possible for you to issue stop payment instructions to the bank for the original warrant and issue a duplicate immediately?

Since the dividend warrants are payable at par at all branches of the dividend banker across the country, it is not practically possible for banks to issue stop payment instructions. Hence, it becomes necessary for us to wait till the expiry of the validity of original warrant.

Q.4 Can I claim old dividends relating to past years that I have not received?

As per the Companies Act, 2013, dividends that are unclaimed for a period of seven years, statutorily get transferred to the Investor Education and Protection Fund (IEPF) administered by the Central Government and thereafter can be claimed by investors. To ensure maximum disbursement of unclaimed dividend, the Company sends reminders to the concerned investors, before transfer of dividend to IEPF.

Q.5 In order to protect against fraudulent encashment, I want to incorporate the details of my bank account in my dividend warrant. What is the procedure that I should follow?

If you hold shares in physical form, please submit the NECS Mandate form, which can be downloaded from our website, duly executed along with original cancelled cheque to our Investor Service Department which will be incorporated in all your future dividend payments.

However, if you hold the shares in demat form, these details will have to be provided to the Depository Participant with whom you have a demat account.

Q.6 What is National Electronic Clearing Service (NECS)?

Under this system, you can receive your dividend electronically by way of direct credit to your bank account. This avoids a lot of hassles like loss, postal delay, fraudulent interception of dividend warrants during postal transit. This also expedites payment through credit to your account compared to dividend warrants in the physical form. We would strongly recommend that you opt for NECS, if you have not done so already.

Q.7 How can I avail of the National Electronic Clearing Service facility?

If you are holding shares in physical form, you are required to submit the NECS form, which can be downloaded from our website, duly completed along with original of cheque leaf and we shall take due note of the same in our records. All subsequent dividends will be paid to you through direct credit to your bank account.

If you are holding shares in demat form, you may approach your Depository Participant for updating NECS mandate.

Q.8 Is the NECS facility available across the country?


Q.1 I have lost/misplaced my share certificates, what are the steps that I should take to obtain duplicate share certificates?

Please inform our Investor Service Department immediately about the loss of share certificates (of face value Rs.10 or Re.1 or of any merged company). Kindly quote your folio number and, if available, details of share certificates. We shall immediately mark a caution on your folio to prevent any further transfer of shares covered by the lost share certificates.

Upon receipt of intimation about loss of certificates, we will revert with the required formalities to be complied with for obtaining duplicate certificates.

Q.2 I have lost my share certificate with transfer deeds duly executed by me. How should I proceed to obtain duplicate share certificates?

Kindly follow the procedure described in the preceding answer.

Q.3 What action should I take if I retrieve the original share certificate, which I had reported to the Company to be lost?

Please surrender the original share certificate to the Investor Service Department immediately if duplicate share certificates have been issued. However, if the original share certificates are found before you comply with the procedure for obtaining duplicate share certificates, please inform the Investor Service Department immediately so that we can remove the caution from your folio immediately.

Q.1What is Green Initiative? Why should I register for the same?

Green Initiative is an effort of the Government of India which aims at reducing paper consumption thereby contributing to a greener environment.

Towards this end, the Ministry of Corporate Affairs vide its Circular Nos. 17/2011 dated 21.04.2011 and 18/2011 dated 29.04.2011 commenced the “Green Initiative in Corporate Governance” thereby allowing Companies to issue Annual Reports and other documents to the shareholders in electronic mode.

By registering for Green Initiative, every shareholder will get an opportunity to contribute to this noble cause for the benefit of our future generations. Moreover, there are other communication like Notice of Board Meeting, Quarterly Results, etc. which the Company sends periodically to those shareholders who have registered for E-Communication.

Q.2 How do I register for E-Communication?

To register for E-communication, you need to have an email id. You may either write to Karvy or to the Investor Service Department by filling up the E-Communication Registration Form.

E-Communication Registration Form is available for download in this section.

Q.1 We have original bonus debentures with us. What do we do with it?

Bonus debentures were redeemed in 2005 without calling for the original debenture certificates and the redemption proceeds along with interest on the same were paid to the respective investors.

All unclaimed redemption/interest amounts on Bonus Debentures have already been transferred to IEPF in August 2012 and hence cannot be claimed by the investors.

Q.1 I wish to split/consolidate my share certificates into marketable lots. What is the procedure that I should follow?

Please forward your share certificates along with a request letter signed by all the registered shareholder/s and we shall split/consolidate the share certificates accordingly.

Q.2 I hold more than one folio in the same name. Can I consolidate these folios?

Yes. Please forward the share certificate relating to those folios which you wish to merge along with a request letter duly signed by all the registered holders and we shall consolidate your folios and return the share certificates by endorsing the consolidated folio number.

You may please note that the folios to be consolidated should be in the identical name and/or in the same order of identical names (in case of joint-holding) and bear the same address.

Q.3 In the year 2000, the Company had sub-divided its shares from the face value of Rs. 10 each to Re. 1 each. However, I still hold share certificates of Rs. 10 each. How do I exchange them with new share certificates of Re. 1?

Please forward your old share certificates to Investor Service Department along with a request letter signed by the registered shareholder(s) and we shall return the new share certificates to you.

Q.4 I was a shareholder of Brooke Bond/Pond's/TOMCO/other companies merged with HUL. I have not yet been able to exchange these shares with the shares of HUL when they merged with HUL. What should I do?

Please forward your share certificates of merged companies to our Investor Service Department along with a request letter signed by the registered shareholder/s and we shall return the HUL shares if not exchanged already.

Q.5 I want to authorise another person to deal with my shares. Do I have to report this to the Company?

Yes. You will have to execute a Power of Attorney in favour of the concerned person and submit a notarised copy of the same to the Investor Service Department for registration. After scrutiny of the documents, we shall register the Power of Attorney and provide you with the registration number of the same.

Q.6 We hold shares in joint names and would like to change the order of names.

Please forward your share certificates along with a request letter duly signed by all the joint-holders as per the specimen signatures recorded with the Company.

Q.7 Why do I register my Permanent Account Number (PAN)?

Registration of PAN details will safeguard the interests of the investors. PAN is a unique checkpoint to ascertain the genuineness of the request of the shareholders.

Back to top


We're always looking to connect with those who share an interest in a sustainable future.


Get in touch with Unilever and specialist teams in our headquarters or find contacts around the world.

Contact us