Even as path-breaking technological innovations continue to rise, the future of work has people at its core. The employment landscape evolves only with the betterment and wellbeing of the workforce. Furthermore, COVID-19 hit the job market hard, and we realise that one of the underlying causes of mass unemployment is the lack of the right skills. At HUL, we are constantly fighting to alleviate the situation as we envision the future of work as one that helps people reach their highest potential and thrive.
HUL Compass ESG Goals
- Equip 1.5 million youth with essential skills by 2030.
- Pioneer new employment models and provide access to flexible working practices to our employees by 2030.
- Re-skill or upskill our employees with future-ready skills by 2025.
Our journey so far
We have established strategic frameworks for delivering every target and signed pilot partnerships with the National Institute of Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD), UNICEF’s YuWaah’s Passport 2 Earning (P2E) programme, LabourNet, Saarthak Education Trust, and Cheshire Disability Trust.
- The Glow & Lovely Careers online initiative helps women create their identity by offering them career guidance, skill-based courses, and employment-related information.
- The trustea* programme provides formal training opportunities to smallholder farmers (SHF) on sustainable practices focused on the environment, safety, and livelihoods.
- Our best-in-class Return to Workplace programme is complemented by our hybrid modes of working.
- We have increased our engagement levels to 86% and 97% in offices and factories, respectively. This places us in the top quartile for employee engagement compared to industry benchmarks.
- Open2U offers ready access to differentiated skills through a network of 500+ expert gig-workers while U-Work allows employees to work on assignments through a flexible dip-in-dip-out approach.
I Am Wall’s by Kwality Wall’s
- Our ice cream vendor programme offers training, equipment, products, and licensing to thousands of long-term unemployed people.
- It has empowered vendors to become self-sufficient micro-entrepreneurs.
- It equips people with sales, customer service, and problem-solving skills, and provides work experience to the youth entering the job market.
Enhancing access to training and skill-building
Glow & Lovely Careers
- The platform has facilitated over 5,00,000 course enrolments and supported over 4,00,000 users in accessing relevant career guidance.
- It addresses various skilling barriers faced by women in India, including limited access to transportation, lack of parental permission, expensive courses, and few quality local institutes.
- Furthermore, it is powered by excellent education and career guidance partners, like edX, English Edge, Hello English, and start-ups like and and internship opportunities through online training partner Internshala.
Improving the livelihoods of farmers
- As one of the largest FMCG companies in the country, we generate direct and indirect employment across our value chain, with our brand value helping us strive towards a socially-inclusive world.
- SHFs enrolled in trustea are trained in the conscientious use of agrochemicals, nutrition management, soil analysis, and sustainable agricultural practices.
- They also have access to formal training opportunities in sustainable practices associated with the environment, safety, and livelihoods.
- We work with numerous farmers and suppliers to improve the environmental standards of our supply chains.
- The Unilever Sustainable Agricultural Code, along with trustea and the Rainforest Alliance, has worked since 2010 to implement the best farming principles.
- SHFs are trained in the Tea Board of India’s Plant Protection Code (PPC), with Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) benefiting them in terms of health and compliance.
- As of 2022, about 69% of India’s tea production was trustea-verified, thus impacting over 100,000tea SHFs, accounting for about 45% of India’s tea SHFs and over 6,50,000 tea workers, of which around 56% were women.
*trustea is a multi-stakeholder tea programme, locally owned and developed Indian sustainability tea code.