Hindustan Unilever Foundation
According to estimates, by 2030 the supply of water in India will be half its demand. To understand and partake in meeting this challenge, we set up Hindustan Unilever Foundation (HUF) in 2010, a not-for-profit company that acts as a vehicle to anchor water management related community development and sustainability initiatives of Hindustan Unilever Limited. HUF operates the ‘Water for Public Good’ programme in 57 districts across India in partnership with 20 NGOs and multiple co-funding agencies. The Foundation supports programs focussed on water conservation, community-based governance of water resources and efficient use of water in agriculture. HUF also supports several knowledge initiatives in this area.
HUF’s cumulative and collective impact until March 2017 includes:
- Water conservation: More than 450 billion litres of potential created
- Crop Yield: Additional agriculture and biomass production of over 6,50,000 tonnes generated
- Livelihoods: More than 5,000,000 person days of employment created
The impact of programmes supported by HUF have been independently assured.
- Charting Our Water Future, 2030 Water Resources Group
- Report of the Working Group on Water Database Development and Management. Planning Commission, September 2011