Hindustan Unilever Foundation
According to estimates, by 2030 the supply of water in India will be half its demand. To understand and partake in meeting this challenge, we set up Hindustan Unilever Foundation (HUF) in 2010, a not-for-profit company that acts as a vehicle to anchor water management related community development and sustainability initiatives of Hindustan Unilever Limited.
HUF operates the ‘Water for Public Good’ programme, with specific focus to empower local community institutions to govern water resources and enhance farm-based livelihoods through the adoption of judicious water management practices.
The Foundation supports programmes focussed on water conservation, community-based governance of water resources and efficient use of water in agriculture. HUF also supports several knowledge initiatives in this area.
By the end of 2018, the cumulative and collective achievements delivered through partnered programmes of HUF include:
- Water Conservation: More than 700 billion litres of potential has been created through improved supply and demand management of water.
- Crop Yield: Additional agriculture and biomass production of over 0.8 million tonnes have been generated.
- Livelihoods: More than 7.5 million person-days of employment created through water conservation and increased agriculture production.
The cumulative impacts of these projects initiated by HUF have been independently assured.
- Charting Our Water Future, 2030 Water Resources Group
- Report of the Working Group on Water Database Development and Management. Planning Commission, September 2011