‘Prabhat’ is Hindustan Unilever’s flagship initiative that focusses on developing sustainable communities around its factory sites and offices. Recently, Project Prabhat was launched in Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh in the presence of Amit Saxena, Vice President, Zilla Parishad, Chhindwara.
Prabhat’s sustainable development work is focussed on:
- Prabhat Livelihood Centre: Through a first-of-its-kind value chain linked livelihood development, the centre offers training to beneficiaries in both farm and non-farm sector. Under the farm sector, the centre supports the value chain development of pulses, maize, mahua, custard apple, goat farming and poultry. Under the non-farm sector, the centre offers women courses in the areas of beauty and tailoring.
- Water Conservation: Prabhat works with twelve villages on efficient use of water, improving agricultural yield and income, enhancing water security measures and reducing water demand. Training programmes are organised to ensure that village level paraprofessionals are created to strengthen community-based water governance.
- Poshan Saathis: With a focus on pregnant and lactating women, this project involves inculcating better food and nutrition habits in women and children. The community outreach workers or ‘Poshan Saathis’ conduct interactive sessions in the community through digital mediums such as phones and tablets.
- Afforestation: Through this program 40,000 saplings of native species will be planted across villages in Chhindwara.
Project Prabhat witnessed immense participation and enthusiasm from the community members.
About Project Prabhat:
Project Prabhat, the *USLP-linked community development initiative of Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), aims to build sustainable and inclusive communities around HUL sites. In the last five years, through focussed efforts on enhancing livelihood, water conservation and health & well-being, it has touched 2.95 million lives across 30+ locations and has over 5000 HUL employee volunteers involved in it.
*About the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan (USLP):
The Unilever Sustainable Living Plan (USLP) is our blueprint for achieving our vision to grow our business, whilst decoupling our environmental footprint from our growth and increasing our positive social impact. The Plan sets stretching targets, including how we source raw materials and how consumers use our brands. The Plan has three big goals:
- Improving health & well-being for more than 1 billion
- Reducing environmental impact by ½
- Enhancing Livelihoods for millions
Read about the USLP